Thursday, January 17, 2008

Brazilian Jui Juitsu: What's Up With That?

My 15-year-old son P.J. and I were watching the ultimate fighting championships and it seemed to me that most competitors were practicing what is known as Brazilian jui jitsu.

I also have seen athletes using Brazilian jui jitsu in many other sports competitions and contests.

I don't want to take away from these very talented, very dedicated martial artists. However, after doing further research and watching the ultimate fighting championships, I can't believe that these practitioners continue to win tournament after tournament.

To be a successful all-around fighter, grappling and groundwork are essential tools. However, I find it hard to believe that this in itself is a fight-winning practice. Most of the fighting begins with one opponent making a low reach to the other opponent's knees. I cannot imagine that no one has found a defense against this -- like simply jumping backward or kicking your opponent in the face when he goes down to grab your leg.

I know these fighters are tough and they train hard, and I really would not want to fight any of them. However, I find it hard to believe that Brazilian jui jitsu is considered one of the best combat forms of martial arts.

For the fans of the ultimate fighting championships, note that you never see a true kung fu stylist, aikido stylist or even a true muay thai fighter. There are better fighters out there who just are not competing.

So take a look at the strengths and weaknesses of all martial arts before deciding Brazilian jui jitsu is the ultimate.

No comments: