My entire family from all over the country is meeting in Florida the last week in June. Consequently, my daughter Valerie wants to know how to add definition to her tummy.So let's start with the basic crunch.
- Lie flat on your back. Keep your hands folded across your chest, and flex your spine so your shoulders come off the floor. (Keep your neck in place and relaxed.) Once your head and shoulders come off the floor, engage your abs and crunch. Make this movement only about eight inches. Try three sets of 15 to see how you do.
- Sit upright and place your feet under the couch or chair, knees bent. Now, lower your back as slowly as possible down to the floor. (A count of 12 should do it.) Then come back to your starting position. Repeat 12 times.
- For the people who can't get enough punishment, attempt to raise yourself back up from the floor for a count of 12.
Okay -- still too easy?
- Lie flat on your back with your feet in the air. Keep your arms straight in front of you and try to touch you toes. (Yes, Val, I am serious.)
This is for the more hardcore:
- Lie flat on your back. Have someone stand with their feet at your shoulders. Raise both feet with some force and have your partner (not to worry, Jesse, you shall remain nameless) shove your feet back to the ground -- but don't let your feet hit the ground.
- Your parnter also can shove your feet to both sides to work your obliques.
When you get good at these, let me know and we can increase the difficulty.In the meantime, let's enjoy the summer and show off those abs.
Thank you for the suggestion, Val. This also gave me more ideas for the blog. I can give tips on a specific muscle for each month. What do you think?